Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oscars for Wedding Inspiration

One of the main reasons I watch the Oscars (or check out the highlights later) is for the dresses.  Amazingly, I have come to realize that this reason translates very well into wedding inspiration! Obviously red carpet dresses are much more expensive than most of us are willing to pay, but who says you can't find a similar style for your own bridal gown or even for your bridesmaids?  

Here are some of my personal favorite wedding inspiration dresses:


I love this stunning gown of Halle Berry's for it's shimmer and lace.  The lace gathered at the bottom is such a unique detail of this dress.  Ideal for anyone who loves their lace and but wants to do something different with it for their wedding dress.


Hilary Swank's gown has a fun combination of sparkle and feathers. A classy idea for the bride who wants unique materials for her gown.  The feathers add just enough to the gown without it seeming to be too outlandish.


A pregnant bride? Not a problem! I love the flattering style of Natalie Portman's dress for a wedding gown.  The gown glosses over her baby bump in a way that shows she is pregnant, but does not overly accentuate this part of her body.  I think the off-the-shoulder look is very classy and a practical idea for a pregnant bride.  The little bit of beading down the neckline draws attention up rather than at her stomach. This dress also has a short train, something to consider for a pregnant bride who might not want to worry about how long her dress is.


I love Hailee Steinfeld's dress for wedding inspiration because I feel like it is a very versatile piece, depending on who you put it on: a bride, a bridesmaid, or a flower girl.  And I love this dress for its ballerina style. It has a pretty embroidery coupled with some shimmer in the translucent top piece that can be a perfect style for anyone who likes the look of a strapless dress, but just isn't comfortable in it.  Tea length can be nice for a warmer wedding or for a bride who does not want to step on her dress.  The tulle at the bottom is fun for any bride who really wants her skirt to stand out.


Helen Mirren's dress is one I would absolutely consider putting my mom in for my own wedding.  Even though Mirren is 65, this dress does not make her look it.  The shape is flattering as are the puffed into fitted sleeves, giving the dress a nice wide neckline.  I even love this color for an evening wedding with more formal attire.

All photos are courtesy of Yahoo! Movies

No comments:

Post a Comment